Landscaping is a great way to increase the value of your home, make your neighbors jealous every time they drive by, and create a beautiful outdoor oasis that you and your family can enjoy for years to come. There are many different types of landscaping, but how do you choose? One very popular type is river rock landscaping. When discussing this topic, many people want to know how to install river rock landscaping, we’ll look into that further in this blog.
What is Landscaping?
First, let’s get back to basics…what is landscaping anyway? Landscaping is a method of transforming your outdoor space into something you actually enjoy looking at! Creative landscaping can be living elements such as flowers, shrubs, and trees. To some, this sounds like your average gardening, but landscaping is not only for aesthetics but has a purpose as well. Landscaping can be the answer to your water conservation woes and can also create a natural habitat. Creative landscaping is the best way to be able to utilize your space, no matter how big or small, in an optimal way.
What is River Rock Landscaping?
River rock is both functional and beautiful! With river rock’s many color and wash options, there is something that will be pleasing to anyone’s eye. Creative landscaping often uses river rock due to it being eco-friendly and versatile. Let’s explore some of the benefits of river rock landscaping:
- Natural – One of the beautiful parts of using river rock in your landscaping is that they are just that–rocks! There are no chemicals, dyes, or paints needed for these gorgeous additions.
- Reduce Soil Erosion – Another benefit to this creative landscaping choice is that it reduces soil erosion by adding additional weight between air and soil. This will assist in reducing wind erosion. If your garden is sloped, adding river rocks can assist in reducing gravitational erosion as well.
- Naturally Deters Weeds – Rather than having to use harsh chemicals on your yard, river rock landscaping can naturally deter weeds as they block sunlight and have enough weight to keep weeds from pushing through. This natural weed repellent will also last much longer than a harmful pesticide!
- Permeable – Another fantastic benefit to this creative landscaping technique is that it encourages drainage. River rock will allow the water to go back into the ground and will not cause flooding that can occur with other surfaces. If the area you reside in has drought issues, river rock landscaping could be a great choice!
Specific Ways to Use River Rocks
While homeowners use river rocks in many different ways, let’s take a look at the most popular uses:
- Garden lining
- Accessories for pools and fountains
- Playground or play area filler
- Flooring for outdoor showers
- Patio, shed, and building borders
- A great option for driveways rather than gravel
River Rock Landscaping Installation
The first step that needs to be completed before doing anything else is to ensure the area is free from all debris. Make sure any weeds, grass, and roots are removed so that less maintenance is needed for your river rocks going forward. After everything is cleared, lay landscape fabric on the area where you want your river rocks. This fabric is laid directly on top of the soil and will keep weeds from growing. If you’d like plants or flowers where river rock will surround them, plant the root deep for proper growth. Create a 2-inch layer of river rock to spread on top of the landscape fabric.
Read More Landscaping Harford County MD
As discussed, river rock is a creative landscaping method that can take your yard to new heights and create a visually beautiful and functional space for you and your family. This method is eco-friendly and has many benefits as we went over in this blog. If you’re unsure if river rock is right for your landscaping, contact The Detail Guys today and they’ll be happy to answer any questions that you may have!